Occupation: Musician, Composer, Songwriter, Trumpeter
Education: Juilliard School
Location: Alton, Illinois
Birth Place: Alton, Illinois
Marital Status: Remarried - Cicely Tyson
Birth Date: May 26, 1926
Death Date: September 28, 1991
Status & Notes
Fill out if you r tagged!
1. Good relationship with youre family? I love my fam. They r cool & without my dad I wouldn’t have gotten my trumpet or cornet.
2. Birthday? May 26, 1926
3. Play Instruments? Trumpet, cornet and sax
4. If so, who inspired you? I was influenced by some friends I didn’t meet until l8er in life, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker and Clark Terry… we don’t have the same style becaue I can’t play as high or fast as them so I got my own style. We’ve been friends for a long time, and we’ve done lots of performances 2gether.
5. Where did you go to school? I studied for a little at Julliard but decided it wasn’t something I wanted to pursue.
6. What do your parents do? My father was a dentist and my mother was a wonderful teacher, but we owned and operated a ranch.
7. Ever done drugs? Yeah… I struggled with drugs.
8. If so, what kind? I was really hooked on heroin for a long time but in 1955 I quit.
Played @ Philharmonic Hall @ New Yorks Licoln Center like a boss!- February 12 1964
Note #2 My Newest Song- “So What”
For those of you who don’t know, I am a famous composer. My music is jazzy and After a struggle with drugs I have revolutionized the jazz world. “So What” is my newest song. It was written to hypnotize the listener with a bluesy bass line, and @BillEvans, our pianist, plays these really impressionistic notes. This is arguably the album’s most influential piece. @PaulChambers opens the song with a bass line and @JimCobbs drumming sets a relaxing mood. It was first performed on April 2, 1959 at CBS TV Studios in New York, NY, USA.
Xcited to perform on CBS program, The Robert Herridge Theater today. 2 bad Julian Adderley has a headache. Have 2 play as a quintet . – with Julian Adderley, Coltrane, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb April 2, 1959
Note 3 My Type of Music
My music is all an influence of the jazz era. It is Jazz Fusion. It developed by mixing funk and R&B music. It has complex time signatures and the compositions include brass instruments and rhythm sections. Jazz fusion derives from non-Western music and requires a high level of instrumental technique. Some other influential performers from the jazz genre include: @JohnColtrane , @LouisArmstrong and the @DavidBrubeckQuartet. Sine other artists from the Jazz Fusion genre include the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report and Return to Forever.
Long day working on documentary #totestired #iloveyoumom #billyourfeetsmell with Bill Cosby, and Dizzy Gillespie October 17 1986